Recently Washington State voters approved the initiative requiring that “home care givers” must attend a state sponsored class that requires membership with the SEIU and you will be fully comp'd the expense of this class. If the home care person does not take this course they will be in-eligible for any compensation from the State or Medicare for their costs of keeping a loved one at home, rather than “dumping” them in to a nursing home.
Was this initiative really about increasing the quality of home health care, or was it really about growing the SEIU through an initiative which mandates a growing private sector into being Union paying members?
The post below is from SEIU Healthcare 775NW. It’s a snapshot from their SEIU website. Look over the snapshot of the job responsibilities and go to the link to read the full posting. Afterwards, you decide whether this was about improved healthcare or growing Union membership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and lead a highly skilled team of organizers to develop rank and file worker leaders and mobilize members for strategic field campaigns.
• Lead and maintain systems for staff training and accountability, in coordination with the Lead Organizer for the Leaders in Action Nursing Home team and other teams.
• Co-ordinate with other leads and team managers to effectively execute coordinated field campaigns.
• Participate in strategic planning with the union’s leadership team.
• Leading members and organizers to develop curriculum and lead leadership development trainings
• Train and lead members in non-violent civil disobedience, such as occupying state buildings and banks, and peaceful resistance.
• Implement leadership program with the goal of engaging 10% of members in active leadership and majority participation
• Execute field plans mobilizing members around political campaigns, annual Leadership Convention, lobby days, regional meetings.
• Execute field plans for special campaigns including contract campaigns, ballot initiatives, COPE contributions, general membership growth and the broader campaign to fight for a fair economy.
• Plan and execute strategic direct action field plans including banner drops, bank takeovers, and capitol occupations with membership, other local unions, and coalition partners
• Assignments to electoral, legislative and growth (new organizing) campaigns as required
• Other duties as assigned